Subject: Re: [I18n] Xutf* and friends
To: None <robert@suse.co.uk, soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/21/2000 04:56:59
> I'm glad to see a slightly more sensible suggestion. However, this still
> doesn't solve the problems of
>
>   * UTF-8 input

UTF-8 input doesn't require any new API at all.
You should notice this fact, if you really think carefully.

>   * UTF-8 string <-> COMPOUND_TEXT string conversion

This also doesn't require any new API at all.
You should notice this fact, if you really think carefully.

>   * thread safety

As I already said, Xutf8 APIs don't really solve this problem.

>   * ickiness

Adding worthless APIs is most icky thing for me.

>   * requiring UTF-8 locales to be installed

As far as UTF-8 X_LOCALE is usable, there is no need that system has
working UTF-8 locale.

> > > Have you got a patch to do that?
> >
> > Patch to X11 part is quite trivial, isn't it?
>
> So in other words, you should be able to do it quite quickly. I look
> forward to seeing your patch.

Honestly, I cannot find the reason to contribute XFree86 client side
code in mind, any more. I'm sorry.
--
soda