Subject: Re: [I18n] Xutf* and friends
To: Steve Swales <Steve.Swales@Eng.Sun.COM>
From: Juliusz Chroboczek <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/20/2000 22:10:59
SS> I regret that they were so precipitously put into the XFree86
SS> release, and partially blame myself for not having pushed hard
SS> enough on the people over whom I have influence, to have this
SS> discussion before they appeared in the release.

Dear Mr. Swales,

With all due respect, I would like to object to the term
``precipitously'' as you have used it.

The design of the UTF8_STRING property type was first done in May and
June 1999, i.e. over a year and a half ago.  The first implementation
of UTF8_STRING appeared in version 110 of Thomas Dickey's XTerm, which
was privately released with XFree86 3.9Pv on 4 July 1999.  A later
version was released to the wide public with XFree86 3.9.15 on 19 July

The UTF8_STRING draft has been continuously updated on the web.  It
was sent to the list twice in mid 1999.  It was
mentioned on the X.Org internationalisation list twice earlier this
year; the latest mention was in a message by Markus Kuhn dated 31
October 2000 under the heading ``Open Unicode Issues under X11''.

During that time, I did receive an acknowledgment from you.  There
have, however, been no comments of a technical nature except from
XFree86 members.

As to the need to extend the Xlib property conversion routines, this
was discussed on at least two occasions on the
mailing list over the last year.  This is a public mailing list to
which a number of X.Org members are subscribed.  I have not kept a
precise record of these discussions.  (I do acknowledge the fact that
these discussions were not forwarded to the X.Org mailing list.  With
hindsight, this was a mistake.)

I do realise that most members of the X.Org I18N working group are
very busy indeed, and I really don't want to blame anyone for the
delays described above.  But you cannot expect us, after over a year
and a half, to still wait for your acknowledgement.

With respectful regards,

                                        Juliusz Chroboczek

P.S. I apologise for the massive crossposting, but I am just following
Mr. Swales' lead.  I suggest that is the proper place
to follow up.