Subject: Re: Directory for the upcoming import of XFree86 4.0.2
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/12/2000 17:32:18
> > Because "xc" is acronym of X Consortium, the version number 4 seems
> > to be not suitable for "xc".
>
> Right, but xc was never the plain X Consortium one, it was always XFree.

In our tree, yes.

And keeping the "xc" and "contrib" directory names made sense while
XFree86 contains those directories and we are preserving those names.

But when if there is only one "xc" directory and if we'll rename
it from "xc" to something, is there any need to keep the name "xc"?
It seems changing it from "xc" to "xf-something" doesn't have problem.

The reason why I thought that changing "xc" to "xf" makes sense is:
Until XFree86-3.3.X, source code other than Xserver are moderately
similar to the X Consortium version (at least about specification
level).
But since XFree86-4.X, X libraries and clients code have a lot of
XFree86 specific changes.
--
soda