Subject: Directory for the upcoming import of XFree86 4.0.2
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/12/2000 08:26:20
Hi,

there is one thing we need to decide before I can import XFree86 4.0.2 when it
gets released.

The directory under which it will be imported.

xsrc/xc will not be used:
 - we need to keep both xfree 3.x and 4.x for some time
 - start with clean tree and submit ALL changes back to the xfree guys
 - it is possible to use both in one directory, but you need to check it
   out two times if want to build both version

XFree 4.x doesn't use the contrib directory under xsrc anymore. The programs
from it are now under xc/programs, so we don't need to care about xc/contrib
and only have to take care about xc/local.

I am not sure now which directory I should use.

Here are my proposals:

xsrc/xc4
xsrc4/xc

I tend to use xsrc/xc4, where xc4 wouldn't contain an extra xc directory
so you have to take care when you do import, but I think thats reasonable.

xsrc/xc4 would contain:

CVS           Imakefile   RELNOTES.PS   config     fonts      nls
INSTALL.PS    LABEL       RELNOTES.TXT  doc        include    programs
INSTALL.TXT   Makefile    bug-report    extras     lib        registry
util

That way we only have to change xsrc/Makefile to build xc and xc4 depending
on a setting in /etc/mk.conf.
I am thinking about to not build xc4 by default, but make it also possible to
build only xc or xc4 or xc and xc4.

Bernd