Subject: Re: Unable to mmap /dev/mem
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/13/2000 16:20:54
You wrote (in your message from Monday 13)

 > > You need 'options INSECURE' in your kernel to be able to mmap
 > > /dev/mem.
 >
 > INSECURE is in my kernel config, and I'm running at securelevel -1. I
 > tried this both with the aperture driver installed and not installed, same
 > results.

Well, then I don't know where the problem is.
The other causes of failure in mmmap() (in sys/arch/i386/i386/mem.c)
are : that the application is not running as root or that the offset
to mmmap is greater than the physical memory.

You should try to use ktrace on the applications in question, if you
haven't already done it.
--
					Matthieu