Subject: Re: Add library dependencies to Xt and friends on a.out
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/21/2000 09:49:48
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: Is there any reason not to give libraries the same treatment under
: a.out as under ELF?

No, but read on.

: Why this runs on 1ton without complaining about missing symbols is
: another mystery.

Since the old ld doesn't always complain about missing shared object
symbols, you won't see the error until runtime.  And, since the a.out ld.so
defaults to RTLD_LAZY binding, you probably won't see a missing symbol error
until a needed (but missing) symbol is referenced.  Since you can't actually
use the audio device on 1ton, the SM and ICE symbols probably aren't yet
referenced.

: - #if !UseElfFormat

This modification should not be !UseElfFormat.  Because we try to keep
things in a pseudo-mergeable state, and we don't want to bork FreeBSD 2.x
(which may or may not support the necessary things), this should change to:

  #if !UseElfFormat && !defined(NetBSDArchitecture)

without removing the contained block.

(Note that O*BSD branched after NetBSD 1.2, at which point shlib
interdependencies should have worked.  I'm not quite sure on that, so I
didn't add a "&& !defined(OpenBSDArchitecture)" to the if statement.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/