Subject: Re: XFree 4.x
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/17/2000 10:48:20
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:
> Let me back up a minute. The idea is to make packages of _all_ the
> distribution sets, so that folks could use pkg_* tools to upgrade
> their systems (or sysinstall, their choice). This idea's been
> discussed before, and it's generally agreed to except for the details.
> Maybe X would be a good place to start?

The problem continues to be, as I see it, that the package tools are
inadequate to the task. They just aren't as flexible as we need them
to be in terms of being able to do things like upgrades without
destroying dependency lists and such.

The idea is fine in principle, but until the package tools get further
improved I don't see it as practical.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com