Subject: "help" type question, re: X11 and macppc NetBSD
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Phaedrus <phaedrus@endless.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/30/1999 19:11:27
Greetings,

I'm running NetBSD 1.4M on a Macintosh PowerPC 7300/180, just installed.
I need to get this machine operational as my primary workstation, or buy
another one...
The install went well; I eventually solved how to get Open Firmware
booting the correct file and device. However, I cannot for the life of me
figure out how to get more then 640x480 out of XWindows. If this is not
possible, please tell me, so that I will stop trying =)
I read all of the related X11, help, and Mac, and ofppc archives; I read
the related system man pages and several non related ones; I installed the
X11 source and failed to find any configuration settings; I installed the
kernel source and eventually found where ofb queried open firmware for the
display buffer and resolution.
Am I right to assume that Open Firmware must be configured for a different
resolution before X11 on a Mac PowerPC will run in a different resolution?
The Open Firmware documentation at Sun's site made cryptic references to
width/height attributes, but using the commands to view properties and
words associated with devices in the tree I failed to see these properties
or words at all.. however, I am running Open Firmware 1.0.5.

Any tips? Suggestions of places to look? How is this usualy done? Is it
usualy done at all? If this fails, I will be looking for wiring data to
get my DEC3100 going as a workstation... Would a new (hopefully cheap)
video card allow me to use a PCI driver and bypass OpenFirmware and Mac's
screwey inconsistent hardware?

The keyboard logic on the motherboard of my primary machine (also
NetBSD) croaked. No matter what keyboard I use, input is garbled, so I
urgently need to get NetBSD running on something else in my home to get
working again...

Thanks for your time & attention!
-scott walters
phaedrus@endless.org