Re: inetd(8): continue or exit on error?

Le Mon, May 29, 2023 at 11:20:32AM +0000, Taylor R Campbell a écrit :
> > Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 10:11:09 +0200
> > From: tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost
> >
> > The question is what to do in case of a config file not found (this is
> > the initial problem: the realpath() return status is not tested and a
> > structure is inconditionnally added to a linked list with an unreachable
> > config file).
>
> I'm not sure inetd(8) has any business calling realpath in the first
> place.  Can we just remove it and let it continue to use paths exactly
> as written in the config file?

It has to call realpath(3) since in order to not include several times
the same file, it makes strings comparaisons about names. Hence a file
has to have some canonical form, not maskerading with differing forms
or it will not be able to detect it is the same file or to detect a
loop.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/