Re: Sanitizing (canonicalising) the block device name in mount_ffs ??

>> Today I am wondering why we need to [...] canonicalise the block
>> device name for mount.
> Isn't it because in order to be able to compare strings, the path has
> to have an uniq (canonical) form, independent from the way the user
> enters it?  For example, at the user level, how mount(8) could
> compare, given only one argument, to what is in /etc/fstab without
> trying first to give the pathname given some normal form?

That's a decent point; perhaps mount should do this when, but only
when, it's given only one argument.

But maybe not.  Why would that be a good thing for it to do?  Do you
_want_ mount to turn "mount symlink-to-wd0e" into "mount /dev/wd0e"?
I'm not convinced that is a good thing.  (I'm also not convinced it's a
bad thing, mind you.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign