Re: pulling in changes to nsswitch from FreeBSD?

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:03:35PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> Can you be more specific about the changes needed?

* Add the nss.h from FreeBSD to /usr/include, this provides compat
  definitions only, no ABI change.

* In nsswitch.h:
	+ Rename NS_CONTINUE and NS_RETURN to be NS_ACTION_CONTINUE and
	  NS_ACTION_RETURN
	+ Add NS_RETURN as another status flag
	+ Define NS_TERMINATE as an or of NS_RETURN and NS_SUCCESS
	+ Define NSS_METHOD_PROTOTYPE to define a method function
	  prototype.

> Do they have any compatibility implications?

At a binary level, no compatibility change as the values don't change.
I wasn't planning on implementing the NS_RETURN code path so binaries
would never see that value returned.

There would be a source build change due to the rename of CONTINUE and
RETURN defines.  Nothing in the NetBSD source tree seems to reference
NS_RETURN nor NS_CONTINUE... not even the nss source so I am left
wondering what their role is.

--
Brett Lymn
--