Re: flock(2): locking against itself?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 12:28:03AM -0400, Mouse wrote:

> (a) Does anyone have any other ideas, not mentioned above, for how to
> address these issues?

Not really, I would suggest using a pty even though you have dismissed
it.  The libcurses atf test does this to test curses functions,
capturing the output and comparing it to an expected output.  It uses
poll(2) to check for i/o so as to prevent blocking on reads and writes.

> (b) Does anyone know of any work done towards pulling the screen
> updater out of curses, so it can be used without all the baggage tied
> to the OS that libcurses imposes?

No.  I am not really sure what general use it would be.  Sure, you have
a very specific need, that I can understand but struggle with a
generalised concept.

> (c) If not, would there be any interest in such a thing?

Not from me.

--
Brett Lymn
--