Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 10:33:14PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 15 Mar 2022 01:51:55 +1100
>     From:        Simon Burge <simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost>
>

>   | Do we have any valid need to have non-critical local filesystems?
>
> Not for Paul's reason ("critical" here has nothing to do with importance
> or requirement for operation - just mount ordering), but yes,
> so it is possible to mount a local filesystem on a mount point
> provided by an NFS mount.
>
> Eg: should /usr/src be on NFS (which might make lots of sense)
> I might want to have /usr/src/local mounted locally, or in my
> case, perhaps /usr/src/bin/sh
>
> So:
>
>   |         [ ... nearly last thing ... ]
>   |         /etc/rc.d/mountlate
>   |                 mount filesystems marked as "late" in /etc/fstab
>
> Something like that is still needed, though even that isn't really
> good enough, as filesystem mounting can be nested in all kinds of
> bizarre ways, that no simple 2 3 or even 4 step "all these kind
> first, then all those, then..." can ever hope to accommodate.

That is reminding me of .WAIT in Makefiles... mount all these
filesystems .WAIT then these. Essentially the dependency of the
mount points affects the ordering of the mounts... Is this asking
for extra syntax in /etc/fstab for dependencies?

Cheers,

Patrick