Re: Encoding non-alphanumeric characters in manpage filenames

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 04:22:33PM +0200, Lassi Kortela wrote:
> In the present case, it's prudent to establish a clear rule by which
> the filenames in man/cat directories can be taken apart to find the
> page, section, and other suffixes.

I don't think I've seen a use-case -- in this thread or otherwise -- for
the conversion from a filename to the name of the manual page.

I think it is more prudent to look at the man file contents instead of
trying to deduce the name of the page from its filename. For example,
the same manual page can have multiple filenames via hardlinks, all
pointing to the same contents.  Looking at the contents of the man file
would provide all the names. (Looking at the contents of cat files for
the purpose of identifying the manual page name is probably not useful,
though. But it is not that common to install cat files anymore.)

Kind regards,
+ Kimmo