Re: fuser(1)

    Date:        Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:10:24 +0200
    From:        Edgar =?iso-8859-1?B?RnXf?= <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost>

  | I just stumbled over the fact that NetBSD userland seems to be missing
  | the fuser(1) command mandated by (the XSI extension of) POSIX.
  | Is there any reason (other than "nobody cared") for that?

I never knew such a command existed, and having read the POSIX description
of it just now, I'm glad I didn't, because now I'm going to be suffering
nightmares just knowing that such a hideous monstrosity exists in the world,
and that one day, we could be infected with it.

The "Rationale" section of the fuser page says it all I think:

	The definition of the fuser utility follows existing practice.

That's it, in its entirely, and if there ever was a rationale, which,
between the lines, says: "this is garbage", that's it.

We have fstat - it does what fuser is supposed to be able to do, and
is rational, unlike fuser.

If POSIX command (utility) man pages had dates the way *BSD man pages
do, this one would have to say "April 1, xxxx" wouldn't it?

kre

ps:

joerg%bec.de@localhost said:
  |  It's only been added in Issue 5, it's an extension, so noone cared enough?

Issue 5 is a LONG LONG time ago (1997), which is back in about the NetBSD 1.n
or perhaps, NetBSD 2 days.

More likely someone looked at it, and was never heard from again, and
everyone else who attempted to follow, vanished similarly.   If none
of you ever hear from me again, now you'll know why, I just couldn't
stand the pain...