Re: inetd enhancements - config syntax

>That should be true only if you specify a listening address with no
>command.  If it works that way when a command is given on the same
>line, that's a bug that needs fixing.  (I feel moderately authoritative
>on this matter since I'm the person who added the code back in 1996.)

Our apologies. There is no bug, and it is working correctly in the way you
described. To avoid potential misunderstandings in the future, it may be a good
idea to update the man page to make it explicitly clear that [listen-addr:]
only changes the listen address for that service, unless it is followed by a
newline character.

Currently that part of the man page reads:
To avoid the need to repeat listen addresses over and over again, listen
addresses are inherited from line to line, and the listen address can be
changed without defining a service by including a line containing just a
listen-addr followed by a colon.

I suggest:
To avoid the need to repeat listen addresses over and over again, listen
addresses can be inherited from line to line by specifying a listen address,
followed by a colon and newline. Specification of a listen address followed by
a service definition will not be inherited on the following lines

We can do this while we also update the man page to reflect the undocumented
[,arg] Christos mentioned.