Re: inetd Enhancements

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:

> Of course, any setup can ultimately be understood.  But the more
> complexity there is, the harder that is to do; and the more automation
> is provided by someone else, the more it encourages administration
> without understanding - in extreme cases it actively obstructs
> administration *with* understanding.  (While I haven't seen it often, I
> have seen people asking about underlying mechanisms answered with,
> basically, "just use the automated tool".  While there is a place for
> automation, using it as a substitute for understanding is, in my
> opinion, a disaster in the making.)

I am sympathetic, but a directory of fragments is very thin syntactic
sugar over having it all in a file.  It does mean that "update this file
if it hasn't changed" is likely to work on each fragment, rather than
failing on something which is a textual collision but not a semantic
one.

If what  you object to is programs coming with  default configs that are
active without the admin passing a test, then please say that.   Making
the config less fragile  about things that are textual but not semantic
merge conflicts isn't the core problem, and we shouldn't not do that
because of concern it might be abused.  That would be like banning cars
because they might be used in a bank robbery.