Re: Summary of man-page formatting

On 15.11.2020 08:18, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 03:10:08AM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> 1. NetBSD base ships with two programs that can format manual pages from
>> base and most 3rd party software: BSD mandoc (newest) and GPLv2 groff
>> 1.19.2 (old, from 2005).
>
> Ignoring pkgsrc and most parts of what you listed in the part below
> that I did not quote - for a  base release build we currently do need
> groff as a tool because the release documentation is formatted with it.
>
> Before we can even think about removing groff from base, this would have
> to change.
>
> It would probably be relatively easy to switch over the expanding of
> variables and the conditional parts to some awk script and do the
> formatting with mandoc, but as you mentioned mandoc is not really meant
> for such general texts and I don't know what the output would look
> like.
>
> It doesn't need to be a 1:1 replacement though, as long as the end result
> is nice and readable in the various formats we want.
>

> Martin

After a quick look, it looks like mandoc(1) should be a drop-in
replacement (after some reshuffling and adapting) for release notes/.
mandoc(1) specializes in the encoding format used by these notes.

The ps, pdf, html and ascii output formats are operational out of the box.

There is no support for 'more' output format (ASCII with overstriking?),
but we could trade it with 'markdown'.