Re: Proposal to remove catman(8)

Kamil Rytarowski <kamil%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote on Wed, 11 Nov 2020
at 08:42:04 EST in <c2e07f81-44f3-a610-effc-ab1b3697af5c%netbsd.org@localhost>:

> In the context of objections from people unaware how does catman(8) work
> at all, I accept that the most serious argument for keeping MKCATPAGES
> is that I use window(1).

The most serious argument is this: people have reliance interests on tools and we don't know exactly what those dependancies are. There needs to be a really compelling reason to remove something, and no compelling reason has been offered.

The standard for keeping something is very different from the standard for adding something new.

All the facts about why catman may not be worth using -- or that it is unused -- are not enough to justify its removal. There needs to be more than that. It needs to be a meaningful burden, or causing a problem, and there's been no suggestion of those things.

--
jhawk%alum.mit.edu@localhost
John Hawkinson