Re: Proposal to drop MKCATPAGES

>      [...] To merge the lines from four
>      different files use

>            lam file1 -s "\
>            " file2 file3 file4

> which cannot be right, [...].   More likely a string containing just
> a newline is what is wanted, in which case the '\' MUST be omitted.

That depends on the shell in use.

In two quick tests I just did, csh on 1.4T and 5.2 does indeed use
quoted-backslashed-newline, as in the example you quote, to get a
newline into the command line.  (Okay, my 1.4T and 5.2 derivatives, but
I havean't hacked on csh on either of them, except for whitespace
cleanup and, for the 1.4T version, for switching to 64-bit time_t.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign