Re: getrandom and getentropy

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 08:22:42PM +0300, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > We don't warn people about unavailable of 127.0.0.1/:: during very early
> > boot and a number of other issues either. If your application is running
> > during system initialisation, you are supposed to be somewhat aware of
> > the limitations in that case.
>
> That's nonsense.  If the man page promisies "high quality entropy",
> that needs to apply no matter when the application is run.

If the man page promises "gravity will pull everything up" that needs to
apply no matter when the application is run.

The notion that /dev/random unblocking because a "delta estimator" that
attributes entropy to pretty much every sample submitted to it said it
saw some entropy is actual evidence that an application was delivered
"high quality entropy" is, as far as I'm concerned, roughly like the
notion that a ball flying upwards out of my hand is evidence that
gravity reversed directions.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost
  "Whether or not there's hope for change is not the question.  If you