Re: recent terminfo changes

On 30/03/2020 04:05, Christos Zoulas wrote:

On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:37 PM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:

blacklistd was not working for me and the ACL check you mention was certainly not described anywhere I saw. After reading the Fine Man Page, I came to the conclusion that passing a sockaddr with a fd of -1 was expected to work with the code as is. Hence my change.

That's a fair point. It is explained in the presentation slides, and now I've also added it to the man page.

I was expecting a change to libblacklist(3) which currently says this:
     The blacklist_sa() and blacklist_sa_r() functions can be used with
     unconnected sockets, where getpeername(2) will not work, the server will
     pass the peer name in the message.

In the route(4) case, it is not directly connected with the peer (hence the sockaddr is unconnected and getpeername will not work) and the peer name (ie, ip address) is passed in the message generated by blacklist_sa.

This was by basis for allowing fd -1 to "work".

As libterminfo is deeply embedded in our system (just as termcap was) I regard it as just as critical, if not more-so. With a busted libterminfo on a stock install vi won't work and nor will pkg_add to install an alternative editor.

Yup, I used vi to test it.

At least if dhcpcd is busted you can still bring up the network manually.

Not always. I can't really guess what address my network provider will give me, and it will not talk to me if I use one it has not given to me.

This is true.
I cannot guess how your ISP is setup and over the years I've seen too many WTF's, but I do strive to support them all. Rest assured though that I do a lot of tesing on many OS's and configs before every release .... but clearly that is not enough.

However, with terminfo we get out exactly what we put in.
Sadly we rely on ncurses to verify the output (due to extensions) but as our current upstream for terminfo descriptions is ncurses that's just how it is.

Ideas on how to imrove either welcome.

Roy