Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 08:36:56AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Moving part of the system to /usr was a *necessary evil* when it was done.
> There is no real rhyme nor reason to what's in /bin vs /usr/bin, even less
> to /sbin vs /usr/sbin, except "huh, I need _this_ and I'm willing to make
> / a little bigger to hold it".  But why shouldn't / just be big enough to
> hold all of /usr?  Because of header files and static libraries and other
> toolchain components?  I'm going to submit that if you have a machine

As several people have reminded me privately: optional packages.  But there is
no real reason we couldn't keep /usr/pkg (or, simply, /pkg; or, more
conventionally, /opt) as its own filesystem while undoing the historical
mistake of splitting /bin and /lib into two pieces and scattering them across
the namespace.

Thor