Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 01:07:21PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | I'm not sure what filesystem attributes you want to apply to /
>   | that don't also apply to /usr just as well.
>
> Aside from readonly, which you comment on below (and I will return to
> there) there's also the block'frag sizes, nodev (which a proper devfs might
> allow to be applied to / but we're dicussing what can be done to solve
> a current issue, not a pipe dream for the distant future).   There's also
> the issue of placement - optimal use of resources.  / (incl /bin and /lib)
> contains a lot of data that is used frequently - if RAM is big enough to
> cache it all, and there's no better use for that RAM, then great - otherwise
> it is useful to have / on a fast access device (like an SSD).  On the other
> hand /usr is contains lots of stuff that we need to have available (and I'm
> sure, some we don't, but let's forget that issue for now) but which gets
> accessed very rarely, and where access speed doesn't really matter, so
> rotating devices work just fine.

I don't think the size distribution for / is really that much different
from most of /usr. It's funny that you want to put /usr on a slower disk
given how many libs in /usr/lib are not present in /lib.

>   | Being able to mount /etc is only slightly more tricky to bootstrap.
>
> Slightly?

You need two files in /etc to bootstrap the rest. A minimal /etc/fstab
and a /etc/rc that mounts the real /etc and exec's the real /etc/rc? Add
a second directory with hard links to both files, so that you can access
them while /etc is mounted and you are done

Joerg