Re: Solving the syslogd problem

Piotr Meyer <aniou%smutek.pl@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 09:32:30PM +0000, Alexander Nasonov wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I like it when fsck doesn't take ages to check /. With bigger /,
>> it's going to be problematic.
>
> IMVHO moving /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/lib to / is reasonable,
> and it will not lead to excessive growth of / - but /usr should
> remain as separated mountpoint, convenient place for extra storage
> needed for src/, xsrc/, pkgsrc/, share/, X11R7/, local/, pkg/ and
> - in some cases - home/ directories.

I think this is the crux of it.  People put things in /usr, like
/usr/pkg, and it is normal that /usr be large.

So "moving /usr/bin to /" just can't be done.  If you mean "move all
programs in /usr/bin to /bin", that's something else.

We have longstannding practice, and at this point I'd favor the smallest
changes to fix the actual problems.