Re: Leak Sanitizer - how to suppress leaks

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 7:24 PM Simon Burge <simonb%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>
> > I will revert it, but I am looking for a more generic approach.
> >
> > How about adding ifdef __NO_LEAKS like:
> >
> > #ifdef __NO_LEAKS
> > free(3)?
> > #endif
> >
> > And in lsan/asan/valgrind/etc checks use -D__NO_LEAKS.
>
> Sorry if I'm missing something that has been already explained,
> but why (practically) do we care about memory leaks for a utility
> that is about to finish?
>
> If we're doing some ugly #ifdef dance only when running the
> sanitiser(s), then we haven't actually done anything to "fix"
> the leak in the installed binaries so it seems that there was
> no practical problem that we were trying to solve in the first
> place.

When multiple people are doing leak busting, maybe over years, they
eliminate many false positives so you can focus on the real issues w/o a
run time penalty. Especially something in the library that comes up
often... otherwise they get in the way of making progress...

Warner

Cheers,