Re: Add curses_version() in curses(3)

[copying here my reply from source-changes-d]

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 18:22:37 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:

> On 30/08/2019 18:09, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> > On 30.08.2019 18:55, Roy Marples wrote:
> > > return "NetBSD-Curses " CURSES_VERSION
> >
> > I propose to go for:
> >
> > return "NetBSD-" CURSES_VERSION " Curses";
> >
> > With removed __DATE__ that is not MKREPRO friendly.
> >
> > The rest looks fine.
>
> I dislike having the version in the middle - convention has it at the end.
> I'd go with
>
> return "NetBSD-Curses " CURSES_VERSION
>
> or
>
> return "NetBSD " CURSES_VERSION

I know I'm late, but I kept quiet as this was kinda misleading as it
used CURSES_VERSION in version.c and I didn't realize it was actually
the netbsd version from osrelease.sh.  Committed code calls it
NETBSD_VERSION, which made me pay attention.

Why would we ever want to report this completely random and unrelated
fact?!

There were years when curses in the tree was unchanged.  In the mean
time we have churned through dozens of netbsd versions.

Why are we trying to over-engineer this?

-uwe