Re: EV_SET() better C++ compat with alternative implementations

On 25.08.2019 16:39, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 08:58:15PM -0000, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

>>> Can we just go back to the original state?
>>
>> Anything wrong with the templated solution for c++11 I posted a few
>> days ago, keeping the original state for older c++ versions (since
>> nullptr that, afaiu, started all this is only in 11).
>
> I'm kind of waiting for the next obscure fallout. The original version
> has easy to understand handling. It works without cast for one common
> use case (passing indices) and needs a reinterpret_cast in the other
> (passing pointers). Now we are trying to do both and play whack-a-mole.
> There is no technical reason really for prefering void * and in fact a
> couple of them for prefer a plain integer. Lack of potential trap
> representations for example. I maintain that going back to the original
> state is actually the better situation.
>
> Joerg

That patch had no handling of reinterpret_cast<>.

I want to see the original state of void* so all casts will be unneded.

Since B lang times we used pointers and integers as the same data type.
They were so indistinguishable that C lang invented unsigned to make any
difference.