Re: PTHREAD_STACK_MIN vs _SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 06:12:49PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> NetBSD does not implement PTHREAD_STACK_MIN as this is an optional part
> of POSIX, however it implements sysconf(_SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN).
>
> I think that this is inconsistent we we should pick one of the following
> paths:
>
> 1. Define PTHREAD_STACK_MIN as sysconf(_SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN).
>
> 2. Drop _SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN from sysconf(3).
>
> Independently we could tune SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN to return something
> larger than PAGE_SIZE if we find it needed. There were debates that a
> single page might not be sufficient.
>
> There is also a similar constant MINSIGSTKSZ (8192 bytes).

Neither option makes sense. PTHREAD_STACK_MIN is supposed to be ICE and
that can't work reasonable on platforms with dynamic page size.
_SC_THREAD_STACK_MIN is a perfectly reasonable mechanism to get a
reasonable limit at run time. In short: this is fine, nothing to change.

Joerg