Re: Patch to make <stdio.h> reentrant by default

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:36:00PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> We keep detecting that more software is happy to just pick -lpthread
> (like LLVM OpenMP) and prebuilt software works by an accident.

That would be easily catchable in pkgsrc wrappers (i.e. remove all "-lpthread"
or similar args if no "-pthread" is there). We may even be able to come
up with some magic to make initialization of libpthread fail in that case.

Also forcing things to be multithreaded when compiling for sanitizers sounds
ok, so I do not really see the big problem you are trying to solve here.

Or am I overlooking something?

I would also be interested (as Thor said) in runtime differences, but not
on amd64 where they are likely unnoticable. What memory footprint / cache
differences will this cause on tiny machines? Most tiny appliances still
use very little (if at all) threaded code.

Martin