Re: Possible slight speedup to non-interactive /bin/sh startup

    Date:        Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:10:48 +0100
    From:        Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>

  | Just drop the version and ignore the path. There should be a proper symlink
  | for "libedit.so" that does all what you want.

Ignoring the path is what I am doing, but I thought there was a
general preference not to do that for library lookups (not to
rely upon implicit search rules) ?

I don't think ignoring the version is the right thing to do, we
need to be sure the ABI of the library used is the same as the one
it was compiled against ... just the same as would be done when
it was linked at compile time.   Failing to find the library at
all is OK (sub-optimal, but OK) - the shell still works then, and
can be used to locate the library (the correct version of the library)
and install it, but crashing because the number of params, or data
types, needed for some function have altered is not.   While that's
probably not likely to happen for libedit, I'd prefer to be more
sure than "not likely" (it is at major version 3 already, so clearly
there has been need, sometime in history, for bumps before.)

  | Make the makefile define that depending on LDSTATIC being defined/empty?
  | That would also cover the MKDYNAMICROOT=no case (I think).

Didn't even think of the latter... Thanks.   I'll try that.

kre