Re: deleting telnet/telnetd

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:00:06PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
 > } The previous telnet thread, contentious as it has been, has completely
 > } missed the critical context, which is that telnet is 14,700 lines
 > } cutpasted from the Necronomicon and telnetd is only slightly better.
 >
 >      Yeah, so?

So it's a danger to have around, given that it's network-facing.

Have you looked at the code? Have you tried making changes to it? Do
you have any grounds for claiming it's not as bad as I say it is?

It's the worst code I've ever worked on, and I've spent a long time
(probably more than most people here) cleaning out toxic software
messes and I've seen a lot.

 > why aren't you volunteering to do the rewrite

Because I'm not one of the people claiming I need it because I can't
learn to type 'nc' instead. Because the amount of discretionary
hacking time I have these days is measured in tens of hours per year.
Because I already threw plenty of time down this rathole in the past
(note the 12000 line diff I posted a couple days ago). Because anyone
could do it and I should be spending what time I have on things that
other people can't or won't do. Etc.

And also, because the attitude in this thread (yours, but not just
yours) is ticking me off. I have better things to do than provide
software for free to people who respond to my carefully considered
opinion with contempt.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost