Re: deleting telnet/telnetd

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, David Holland wrote:

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:32:08PM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> I don't understand your position. Let me explain why.
>
> You're saying, "Write a new one, and it's going to be close to
> impossible," at the same time you're saying, "Delete this one."
>
> If it's impossible, and we need one, we'll need to keep the old one no
> matter how bad it is, right? And if you can't fix it after all the
> experience you have with it, how am I going to be able to fix it?

I don't really follow. It's not impossible. It's just not trivial.

Keeping the old one has been the answer for the past twenty-odd
years. But it can't be fixed and sooner or later someone's going to
find a critical problem with it.

The reason it came up this week is that someone found and posted a
couple noncritical problems in one of the other forks of it.

The hope, I think, was that the conclusion would be that we don't
really need one.

Top post, bottom post, whatever.

Telnet is used every day and most of the use cases can use nc.

I wish you'd get rid of it because that would mean I can resign and
delete NetBSD and get rid of a lot of old hardware.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee