Re: Moving telnet/telnetd from base to pkgsrc

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:

> It does no harm as it is, if you don't use the client, all it does is
> occupy a couple of hundred blocks (nothing), the server is not
> enabled by default, and it is even smaller.

I agree.  I use it often, to see if TCP ports are open and hand-type
smtp or http.

Another point is that as a BSD system, we at least used to have a
respect for history and tradition.  That has to have a balance - we did
get rid of sendmail.  But removing longstanding programs (that don't run
by default) because some people don't like them, as part of what feels
like a larger deletionist crusade, is not ok.