Re: Weirdness in /bin/sh of 8.0

On Mon 13 Aug 2018 at 07:09:41 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> This patch ...

indeed fixes the problem for me.

> This is certainly not the right way to fix things, but as a quick fix to allow
> pkg_chk -av to work, it seems adequate (at least as much as I can test
> that, since I don't use pkg_chk and don't have a pkgchk.conf file with
> anything meaningful in it).

If you just have something like the following in it

pkgtools/pkg_chk
pkgtools/pkg_install
pkgtools/pkgdiff
pkgtools/pkgin
pkgtools/nih

you should be able to see the difference between broken and working.
When working, pkg_chk -vak will print something like

Variable: PKGNAME = pkg_chk-2.0.9
pkgtools/pkg_chk - pkg_chk-2.0.9 OK
Variable: PKGNAME = pkg_install-20180425
pkgtools/pkg_install - pkg_install-20180325 < pkg_install-20180425 (has binary package)
Variable: PKGNAME = pkgdiff-1.8nb1
pkgtools/pkgdiff - pkgdiff-1.8nb1 OK
Variable: PKGNAME = pkgin-0.11.3
pkgtools/pkgin - pkgin-0.11.3 OK
Variable: PKGNAME = nih-0.14.1
pkgtools/nih - nih-0.14.1 OK

and after it has reported on the whole list of packages from pkgchk.conf
it will try to build/install any that were out of date or missing.

> I will push doing a proper fix for 48875 up my priority list, rather than
> just letting it languish as an intellectual curiosity that ought be handled
> sometime...

Thanks!

In the mean time I will keep the patched copy of sh as a spare but not
for general use.

> pps: while looking at this, I see a whole bunch of problems in the pkg_chk
> script that ought to be fixed, but none of them are related to this particular
> issue.

You mean "need to be fixed in the script" or "need to be fixed in sh"?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.