Re: Sample based profiling

On 31.07.2018 10:28, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <2c408f23-6eae-da00-dfb2-ebc7b66e689c%gmx.com@localhost>,
> Kamil Rytarowski  <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I'm for removal of gprof and deduplication of .a files in the base.
>>
>> While there, can we get rid of moncontrol(3), profil(2) and all the
>> corresponding code?
>
> I constantly see proposals to remove things from base without replacing
> the functionality first. Yes, the current state is poor but the
> "hand hurts, cut hand" approach is worse.
>
> christos

The original proposal contained an analysis of gperftools as an
immediate replacement through pkgsrc (it requires Perl).

And while there, there was a process of analysis of the compiler-rt
profile [coverage] feature during GSoC (while porting libFuzzer, we were
researching whether we need it at that point - but the conclusion was
that it's not required for fuzzing).