Re: Fwd: Re: fmtcheck() query

On Dec 13,  3:34pm, rokuyama%rk.phys.keio.ac.jp@localhost (Rin Okuyama) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: fmtcheck() query

| Yes, I'm so sorry for this breakage of file(1). It clearly indicates
| possible risks of changing the behavior of fmtcheck(3).
|
| OK, I will revert fmtcheck.c, rev 1.11. Then, I will correct the manpage
| in accordance with its actual behavior.
|
| After that, I would like to replace fmtcheck(3) with new code based on
| printf_fmtmatch() by uwe. The problem is how it should be:
|
| (1) Introduce new function like
|
|      const char *
|      fmtmatch(const char *suspect, const char *default, int flag)
|
| to libc. We can specify whether unused args are checked or not by flag.
| fmtcheck(3) uses it internally.

Thank you very much. I think that adding a new function is preferrable
in this case because we are adding significant new functionality (by the
positional arguments handling). We should leave the old fmtcheck(3) alone
(so that existing code does not break) and just document its deficiencies
and say to use fmtmatch(3) instead.

Best,

christos