Re: Basesystem programs redefine routine symbols from libc

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 11:35:07PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> I think that reusing symbol names of well-known standard functions from
> libc is at least misleading and shouldn't happen - so the process of
> renaming such functions is improving the situation.

I disagree. The C standard (and also Posix) have clear rules about
application namespace, and sanitizers have to obey them or are broken.

> I was attempting to port the sanitizers with minimal changes in the
> NetBSD code base and it looks like these symbol names are the only
> altered thing so far. Redesigning sanitizers to teach them about such
> cases is too complex work for me as of now.

I very well understand your POV here, but it is important to fully understand
the problem before changing random things. It may be a simple bug in the
sanitizers build system that this specific instance links statically, while
it is supposed to linke dynamically (with ELF symbol overriding semantics).

Martin