Re: change proposal: nvi behavior for multi-width character

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Rin Okuyama <rokuyama%rk.phys.keio.ac.jp@localhost>
wrote:

> (1) cursor position (nvi-cursor.patch)
>
> This patch fixes cursor position when a multi-width character
> does not fit in a line, and is located on the next line.

Can you describe the problem?  Such as, is the cursor
currently misplaced (to the first line)?

Also, when cursor indicates a multi-width character, put it on
> the first column of the character, instead of the last column in
> the current implementation. Otherwise, some terminal emulators
> do not focus on the entire the character, the right-most column
> instead.

As long as it doesn't break xterm.

(2) join command (nvi-join.patch)

> This patch changes amount of white spaces inserted when lines
> ending or beginning with multi-width characters are joined:
>
>   last char       first char      behavior
>   ---             ---             ---
>   multi-width     multi-width     nothing ins'ed
>   multi-width     single-width    1 spc ins'ed
>   single-width    multi-width     1 spc ins'ed
>   single-width    single-width    original
>
> This is (basically) the same behavior to nvi-m17n. As a Japanese,
> I feel this is a quite reasonable choice, and I guess it may be
> for other non-European languages that leave no space between
> words.

It's true to CJK, but generally unsafe to make such
an assumption.  Unless nvi2 (https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/)
can recognize Unicode codepoints, unlikely I can
take this change.

--
Zhihao Yuan, ID lichray