curses: create panel from stdscr?

There seems to be a difference in libpanel compared to ncurses: A
panel cannot be created from stdscr.

At least that's what a python bug report says:

"The NetBSD curses library in NetBSD 8 provides the panel extension.
compatible with ncurses. But a panel can not be created from stdscr.
This causes failing two tests in test_curses. These tests were added
not long time ago, and there are not reasons to create panels from
stdscr instead of other windows. Hence the proposed PR just makes
these two tests creating panels from new windows, as in other two
tests."

https://bugs.python.org/issue31924

It's been changed in python upstream, but perhaps this difference
should be removed. Let me know if I should file a bug for this.
 Thomas