Re: getaddrinfo(3) on numerical addresses

EF> Ah yes, of course. Stupid me. Thanks.
So what I've learned (thanks!) from this discussion:

Calling getaddrinfo() with a hint of AF_INET/AF_INET6 means "if you try hard,
can you make this a IPv4/IPv6 address" (e.g., look up 1.2.3.4.numerical.org
or ::1.i-like-colons.org)
If you want "does this look like a IPv4/IPv6 address" instead, call
getaddrinfo() without a hint and examine res->ai_family.

Which makes sense.