Re: process mystery

    Date:        Sat, 2 Apr 2016 15:21:40 -0400
    From:        "James K. Lowden" <jklowden%schemamania.org@localhost>

  |  UID  PID PPID CPU PRI NI VSZ RSS WCHAN STAT TTY       TIME COMMAND
  | 1000 3419    1   0   0  0   0   0 -     DE   ttyp9- 0:00.00
  | (utmp_update)
  |
  | I don't know what wchan is,

In this case, there is none, "-" is a column filler when there is no
value - the process looks to have gone beyond that, I think only
getting a kernel stacktrace of it (of that is even possible) will
reveal anything.

  | I don't need to know the kernel status unless someone here is curious.
  | I'm mostly interested in understanding my options short of rebooting.

I suspect "ignore it"... (until there is some other reason to reboot).
Unless it is actually causing problems, that's what I'd do (though I
might also see if I could work out exactly where it is stuck, and why it
did not proceed to truly becoming a zombie, so it could be reaped.)

What system version is this (including the actual kernel build date - that
is the mod date of the sources the kernel was built from)

kre