Re: Proposal for several minor changes to sh

    Date:        Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:35:33 +0000 (GMT)
    From:        Iain Hibbert <plunky%ogmig.net@localhost>

  | > First, it has irritated me for ages there is no way to know that it is
  | > the NetBSD shell that is running
  |
  | Might I ask, what do you need to know this information for?

Sorry, I missed seeing your message ... it is useful to know which shell
as they all have (or don't have) odd features here and there which are
useful to use when available.

That allows the login startup script (.profile) to tailor the environment
in a way that is best for the shell that is running.

It isn't likely to be useful for scripts, but for configuring the
interactive environment it is ideal.

I have been using this method for years, but with NetBSD's shell just
being the "unknown" case (along with dash, the FreeBSD shell, and more).
That's what was annoying.

kre