stty erase WTF

What's been done to terminal handling in NetBSD 7.0?

I now see the following, grossly broken behavior:

1) On my ssh client, stty shows erase is ^?

2) I ssh to a NetBSD-7 machine; stty shows erase is ^?

3) I "su -" or "sudo -i".  stty shows erase is now ^H

The culprit appears to be these lines in /root/.profile:

	if [ -x /usr/bin/tset ]; then
        	eval $(tset -sQrm 'unknown:?unknown')
	fi

But whatever the reason is, this needs to be fixed.  My ssh session
explicitly propagated erase=^? to the netbsd-7 system, and nothing
we ship in the system defaults has any business overriding that.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart