Re: curses vs non-ASCII

> "each octet is one character" semantic I want for this application.
It's a long time since I tought the Perl Curses module to correctly deal with multi-byte characters. I also don't know which flavour of curses you are dealing with. I seem (with ncursesw) to remember some legacy_coding variable or function to set one-char-per-octet and some logic in the function backing addch() combining octets into characters.