Re: Add reallocarray(3) and strtonum(3) to lib/libc/include/namespace.h

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 04:35:50AM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
 > >> I would like to add the OpenBSD functions to
 > >> lib/libc/include/namespace. h.
 > >>
 > >> The reasoning is that it seems correct as other libc functions
 > >> are there as well.
 > >
 > > They are not used internally by libc so this is not needed...
 >
 > They are used externally.

The purpose of namespace.h (which is internal to libc) is so that
calls from libc to things that are supposed to be libc functions, but
are nonstandard, aren't disrupted when programs provide their own
symbols with the same names. If there aren't internal uses in libc,
namespace.h has no effect.

 > Our base utilities and external utilities of our users depend on it. I
 > want to be prepared for possible drop of these functions in case of
 > obsoleting it upstream (in OpenBSD) or adaption for change of its
 > signature.

namespace.h would not help in this event; this would require bumping
the major version of libc.so, which as you may have gathered is a
"nearly never" event.

now that the functions are in libc, they're in libc for keeps...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost