Re: SHA-3 in libc

   Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 14:10:11 +0000 (UTC)
   From: christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas)

   What would be the plan if the standard changes, and the functions are
   made to compute different output? How are we going to recognize good
   vs. broken versions of the functions.

Hmm...  What I had in mind was that nobody would actually use it until
SHA-3 is finalized, and the symbols would be there only so that when
7.x(.y) comes out after it is finalized, packages built on a 7.0 host
would be able to use it.

But on further reflection I see that leaves plenty of screw cases, of
people using applications on <7.x(.y) that were developed with
>=7.x(.y) who will get bad results.

Adding mandatory run-time logic to the API to detect whether it's
finalized would be a bad idea, so I'll just hold off on this until
then, and anyone who wants to use SHA-3 in applications on 7 once it
is finalized can copy & paste it (it's a relatively small amount of
code, a few hundred lines).