Re: New format of output from man -k

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Darren Reed wrote:
netbsd-current# man -k nfsd
$<2>nfsd$<2> ($<2>8$<2>)      $<2>remote NFS server$<2>
$<2>nfsd$<2> runs on a server machine to service NFS requests from
[...]

The "$<2>" looks like the terminfo specification for a delay. I susect that mandoc is trying underline some words, it's failing to interpret the terminfo spec properly, with the result that $<2> in the terminfo spec is displayed as $<2> instead of being interpreted as a 2-millisecond delay.

How do I get it to look like it did before with one line per man page?
[...]
What it used to look like...

$ man -k nfs
confstr (3) - get string-valued configurable variables
exports (5) - define remote mount points for NFS mount requests

I wish I could get that output format back for "man -k". I like the new full-text search, but dislike the new output format.

A workaround is to run apropos directly:

TERM=dumb apropos -C nfsd

--apb (Alan Barrett)