Re: Not so technical, but your feedback is requested

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Marc Balmer wrote:
We are soliciting opinions about removing the file /usr/share/misc/airports. The file might have been useful in past times, but in 2014 maybe not so much anymore.

I often use the airports file, and I appreciate having the information available offline. If I am forced to rely on online sources instead, I will be only slightly inconvenienced.

- The file is outdated compared to  IATA sources
- The information is available online and more complete/accurate there
- Why keep a local copy of thia very particular information when it is impractical to maintain? FWIW, there is also an ICAO list of airport codes; and an IATA list of tailway stations etc. do we have these? No. So why keep a list of airports?

We could automate syncing the file with IATA sources.

- Changes to this file have recently been used to make politcal statements, leading to data no longer being compatible with IATA listings.

That's a bug. Any differences between our file and IATA sources should be resolved in favour of the IATA source, or some other reliable source. In particular, NetBSD should not be in the business of deciding which country an airport is in.

--apb (Alan Barrett)