Re: Library support for two-phase daemonization

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:19:30 +0100
Joerg Sonnenberger <> wrote:

> (1) daemon2() returns a filter descriptor. It is the responsibility of
> the child to write '\0' to this fd and close it, once it is done with
> initialisation.

> (2) If the child writes a code other than '\0', it is interpreted as
> error by the parent and used as exit status.

First of all, I'm sorry for replying to a two months old thread, but
this seems to be similar to what Ian Jackson proposed in debian-ctte@
around the same time (Cc-ed to a bug report #733452)

I think it's worth joining forces in developing a common daemon
readiness protocol.